Rolling Back Obama Regulations & Commitments
- Eliminate the EPA
President-elect Trump threatened to gut the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), saying, “We are going to get rid of it in almost every form. We’re going to have little tidbits left but we’re going to take a tremendous amount out.”
- “Cancel” the Paris Climate Treaty within the first 100 days of office
- Can he do that?
- Not really, but yes. The deal has gone into effect meaning […]. There’s a three year period before any country can give notice to withdraw, and then one more year before that pullout takes effect. However, the United States could severely handicap the deal by not following through on emissions cuts and reneging on promised funds for global climate adaptation. The next round of climate negotiations begin in 2020 where stronger and more ambitious agreement is supposed to be signed. It took 20 years to negotiate the Paris Climate Accords.
- Can he do that?
- Eliminate all US contributions to global climate finance
- Eliminate the Clean Power Plan
- What is the clean power plan
Among the items on the chopping block are President Obama’s Clean Power Plan — intended to reduce power plant emissions — as well as anything hindering coal mining. In fact, according to Robert McNally, the president of the Rapidan Group, the energy consulting firm, and former official in the George W. Bush administration, speaking to Fox News:
“I think 80 percent of President Obama’s policies will be reversed very soon after Trump moves into the White House. The Trump administration will reverse the global warming principles enacted under Obama and he will stop the politicization of infrastructure. This will definitely spur on the growth of the oil and gas industries.”
Advancing Carbon Emissions
- Expand gas and oil drilling
- “Reboot” American’s ailing coal industry